Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

William "Billy" Haines, Decorator Extraordinaire

Fans of the Hollywood Regency style of interior decor adore pioneer William "Billy" Haines. He was a glamorous Hollywood actor during the early 20th century, then left to do interior design. His career paralleled that of Dorothy Draper, the other star pioneer of the Hollywood Regency style. Recently, I found these velvet chairs at a local thrift store; they remind me of William Haines' style. I've also included some photos of actual Haines chairs. 
This pair cost $100 at a local thrift store. Haines didn't do cabriole legs, to my knowledge, but I think the overall style is "in the manner of" Haines. 

In 1925, MGM's leading male actor was the debonaire Haines; he remained a top star from 1928 to 1932. 

Even though he had both, Haines advocated taste over money. 

Haines chairs featured on the blog Design Cracker See.

More Haines chairs, featured on Apartment Therapy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment