Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hats Off! Mamie Eisenhower, Kate Middleton, and Others

With spring begun, hats are on my mind. Gardening and sun protection are mere excuses ... 

Do you even know what this is? Why it's Mamie Eisenhower’s pink petal hat, perched on her hatstand! Those were the days. 

Wouldn't it be fabulous to rock this pill box on Easter? Appropriately named Melbury Court, this little number was designed by British designer Gina Foster. At savannah.com. 


Look who knows how to wow them in a "fascinator." Worn at society events, this traditional headpiece normally includes feathers, flowers, and beads. Mizz Middleton -- wait for it -- always fascinates in hers. 

I think I would get the most mileage from straw fedora, like this one from Eugenia Kim at Neiman Marcus (Victor Osborne also has a chic, pink-ish one at Barneys).  I actually met Kim when she was just starting out. I was an accessories editor at Women's Wear Daily. She was a recent college graduate. She came to our office, unannounced, with two hats in a box, and wanted to meet an accessories editor. That was me. I put her in touch with the stylists for WWD and also for W magazine. It was obvious, even then, that she had talent. 

Okay, I love me some Stephen Jones and Philip Treacy, but honestly, I just love a good old-fashioned head kerchief (babushka). I used to sport a pink cashmere babushka by Tracy Watts when I worked for Women's Wear Daily in NYC. They sold them for $70 at Barneys, in various colors, and they were just the answer for a bad hair day. (This photo is from Heather Evans Smith Photography on Esty. Love her). 

I mean, who doesn't look cute in a babushka? (Photo from paulasbrain.blogspot.com). 

0 comments:

Post a Comment