Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Top This Cake!

Cakes, I would argue, are made more decadent when topped by a beautiful confection of something other than sugar. 
 
This 1950s cake topper is from the fabulous Aunt Enid's Attic at GasLamp Antique Mall in Nashville. The owner of Aunt Enid's, Carol, sells amazing 20th-century items. I love this bride's crown of pearls and delicately painted eyelashes. 

I know it has been a few years since these birds from Ann Wood first became popular, but they hold a special place in my heart: I ordered the pair seen here to top my own wedding cake (the pink rosette matched the flower girls' sashes). At www.annwoodhandmade.com.
I absolutely adore the clothespin toppers made by Sarah Neuburger, owner of The Small Object. Like Ann Wood, she has had a gazillion imitators. But hers are still the best. 
At www.etsy.com/shop/thesmallobject.

Nonnie Waller's Traditional Southern has been a favorite of gourmands for almost two decades now. And why not? What woman wouldn't love a pound cake, topped by a nosegay, packaged in a gorgeous hatbox? I have received a couple in my life, and wouldn't mind receiving a few more. At www.nonniewallers.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment