Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Amber Alexander's darling menagerie of animals

Amber Alexander has a delicate way of letting watercolor be watercolor. It spreads, it flows, it swirls into beautiful washes. My favorite pieces are her whimsical animals, which benefit immensely from her undone style. If they were too done, they'd be cloying. But with her carefree touch, they're perfectly charming. 
"Just Desserts." This feline looks sort of caught in the act, no? I could see my Flynn eating a piece of devil's food cake, too. She loves to lick the juice off of strawberries. 
 "Pearl." I want a mouse like Pearl, to help me keep my jewelry straight and whisper all of the court secrets in my ears. And I really, really want a pouf like this lovely lady's. 
"Book Club." Something tells me she's a fan of Edith Wharton and Jane Austin and maybe even Tom Wolfe. She strikes me as a literary adventurer. 
"Squirrel." Now, Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel is a great favorite of mine. But I'm feeling a fondness for this darling. 
"Showgirl." A flapper bird. How could you resist? 
All paintings available at www.etsy.com/shop/amberalexander?ref=top_trail.

0 comments:

Post a Comment