Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Words of Wisdom

When I was in college, way before one could buy adhesive stick-on words for your walls (why didn't I think of that?), I pasted a 6-inch deep roll of brown butcher paper around the top of my dorm room. In black paint I scripted the words: "Mistrust all enterprises that require new clothes." — Henry David Thoreau. Today, what with how far graphic design has come, we have so many new choices. But I'm still not above the rudimentary. 
Like this. This photo was taken by my good friend in New York City, the inimitable Frank Weldon, on the Williamsburg Bridge. It's so New York; these are a people who have always got to be saying something. I just love simple bon mots scrawled in chalk or paint. When I lived in New York City for 12 years, I would often glance up at a phone pole, or down at the sidewalk, and see Shepard Fairey's Andre the Giant. 
This one, for $18 from Color Bee on Etsy.com, is perfect for a "woman of a certain age," if you know what I'm saying. There's also a "She blinded me with science" version. 
I simply must have this one, being Southern, I mean, darling. But here's the rub: While it's been all over Pinterest and Polyvore, I cannot find the origin of it. Please advise; I must possess. 
This lightbox installation is by Brooklyn artist Heidi Cody and is in the home of hipster NYC interior designers Robert and Cortney Novogratz. I love that the "m" is from M&Ms packaging.
Studio Mela, which sells on Etsy.com under Dazey Chic, has so many fabulous prints it's hard to choose just one. But if you've ever seen a bird with a french fry, you get how genius this truly is. 
Have a FAB weekend, darlings, and eat some french fries and pancakes for me ... 

2 comments:

  1. Love them! I hate that KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON has become ubiquitous because I fell in love with it in London but don't want to be trendy now. I may have to buy the pancakes one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know what you mean about the Keep Calm ones. I have one that I ordered from a small printshop in London about 4-5 years ago. I saw the poster originally in a home decorating magazine, I think House Beautiful. And then, within a year, they were selling them as spiral notebooks at Books-a-Million. Ugh. Oh, I know, we must find the origin of the pancakes one....

    ReplyDelete